There were indications on Thursday that security agencies had begun investigations to get identities of Nigerians, who might joined the militant, Islamic State of Iraq and Syria.
The MSW reliably gathered that the action of security agencies followed reports that a son of a former Chief Justice of Nigeria, Justice Mohammed Uwais, had allegedly joined the militant group.
A top security source, who confided in one of our correspondents in Abuja, said, “Besides Uwais’ son, we are trailing more Nigerians, who recently travelled to the Middle East. I cannot give you details for now. What I can say is that the militant group is recruiting Nigerians.”
The Department of State Services, it was gathered, had declared a manhunt for the son of Uwais.
He was said to have obtained a Turkish visa in Abuja and travelled to Syria through Turkey to allegedly link up with the Islamic militants who are waging a murderous war in Iraq and part of Syria.
Security sources said the DSS leadership had briefed the state directorates of the agency and the field operatives to be on the look-out for the suspect and other Nigerians that may want to head for Syria to join ISIS terrorists.
The source explained that all DSS personnel had been briefed about the adventure of the junior Uwais, who allegedly travelled to Turkey without telling his parents and other relatives.
“DSS operatives have been directed to be on the look-out for the suspect because it has not been established whether the man and his family are in Syria or not, but security agencies are not relenting in their efforts to ascertain the location of the suspect and everything is being done to prevent others from joining the militants,” he stated.
An online medium, The Cable, had on Thursday reported that the son of the former CJN allegedly gave his parents and everyone around him the impression that he hated Boko Haram because of the “damage” they are doing to Islam.
The Cable stated that details of his arrival in Turkey were made available, while images of CCTV recordings were also said to have been analysed by the Turkish security agencies to establish their movement.
When contacted, the former Chief Justice of Nigeria, did not answer a call put to his mobile telephone line by one of our correspondents at about 3.46pm on Thursday but later replied in a text message that he was at a meeting.
Upon a further text message enquiry by one of our correspondents, a wife of the former CJN sent a reply, requesting that the family’s privacy should be respected.
The wife said, “I am his (the CJN’s) wife and ask that you respect our family’s privacy at this period in our lives. Thank you in appreciation of your understanding as a parent, sibling or child yourself.”
When contacted, the Force Public Relations Officer, Emmanuel Ojukwu, directed all inquiries on ISIS investigation to the DSS and the National Intelligence Agency.